Saturday 20 August 2011

Loving Nepal


Namaste from Nepal, well for those of you that saw my recent FB update, I am in love with Nepal. So last night i wrote i was off out for a few drinks, well lets say this was a slight understatement. I left the Guesthouse at around 7.30pm, which by the way is just on the out skirts of Thamel, which is pretty much the main tourist hive of Nepal. Thamel is a network of side streets, only just wide enough to get a car down, they are lined with Shop after shop, after shop. Its a tourist haven, selling everything from Buddha's, 100% cashmere pashmina's (lots and lots of these shops), lots of clothing shops selling trekking and hiking gear (of course given where we are), i mean i must admit more of these shops do sell the same stuff but its wonderful seeing it. There also many, many Tour operators being so close to the Himalaya's, offering Trekking, white water rafting, jungle safari and so on. In the midst of all these shops there of course plenty of bars and restaurants and it was these last night that i was mostly interested in. I found a nice little place to eat with a balcony which overlooked one of the streets. So far on my travels through India, the food has been amazing, so as I am Nepal i had to try the local cuisine, this did not let me down, again i had an awesome meal. I then wondered around looking for bars, i had noted a few from lonely planet so headed for those, i was soon listening to some live music in Reggae bar, met some people from Switzerland and they invited me to sit with them, for some reason (perhaps feeling bloated still from the food) i went onto whiskeys quite early and stayed on them, i cant remember much else about the night, other than i jumped in a Rickshaw to get back to the Guest house as i couldn't remember the way, i wish i hadn't, the guy said he knew where it was, he lied! I ended up on a tour of Nepal at 3am, he had to ring the guest house in the end to find out where it was, i don't how long we were going round for but when i was walking around today i saw the last bar i was in, it was a 5min walk! Drinking i bad for you!

So today i wasn't feeling that great but had a cold shower and felt better. I grabbed a map from the front desk of the guesthouse and headed for the famous Durban square. The sun was out and it was hot but i was loving it, i must have walked near on 10 miles today, it was a great day for photography, i visited some temples, and did one of my famous past times people watching, took lots of photo's, got very hot and walked nearly half a marathon but i was just in awe of this lovely city, the people, the food the way of life. Its sop busy everywhere, cars, bikes, Rickshaws horns being constantly beeped yet it still seems all so relaxing and chilled, perhaps that's because everyone is high on Cannabis, anything legit that someone tried to sell me, if I declined was always followed by 'ok, you want some Hash instead, i have good smoke, best in Nepal', of course i always politely declined. I wanted to see the Monkey Temple today but in the end i was feeling too tired, after i have posted this i think i will have a nap then get some food later and take my camera with me, that way i wont be tempted to 'get on it' again, though never, say never! Tomorrow i need to move Hostels as tomorrow night i meet with my group as my tour starts the day after with Dragoman, i almost wish i hadn't booked it now and then i could have stayed much longer in Nepal, well 15 days that i am allowed on my visa anyway, oh well the tour should be good. I managed also to find a place that did clothes washing over night as there doesn't seem to be any laundrettes, its only £4 so all good. I'll put some photo's up soon. Keep well all.

PS. I picked up another book today 'In to the wild' i have seen the film and thought it was great, i am sure the book will just be as good. I'm not onto my 4th book in just over 7 days, soon i might start actually getting books with words and not just pictures ;o).

No comments:

Post a Comment